I am Hildur Magnúsdóttir an Integrative Psychotherapist, a holder of the European Certificate of Psychotherapy, ECP. I offer psychotherapy for adult individuals from an Integrative Humanistic perspective. I am primarily guided by Internal Family System Therapy, am influenced by Emotion Focused Therapy and apply EMDR when appropriate. These modalities are evidence based. I have myself gone through psychotherapy and seek professional consultations and continuing education, all important aspects of quality in psychotherapy. I am a founding member and Treasurer of the new Association for Psychotherapists in Iceland, SALM and a member of the European Association for Psychotherapy.
Employment within psychotherapy
I have practised privately since 2015, at the Psychology Practice Þórunnartúni 6 Reykjavík. I volunteered for Drekaslóð in 2013-2015, a centre for survivors of violence and supervised staff at Landspitali University hospital in 2016. I support international delegates of the Icelandic Red Cross.
Psychotherapy training – Integrative
My training was a UK based 4 years MSc level program at the European Center for Psychotherapeutic Studies, completed in 2015. The training is ECP certified by the main European Psychotherapy Association, EAP. There was a focus on working with relational trauma such as abuse, neglect and unmet attachment needs rooted in childhood, self-awareness, emotions, the therapeutic relationship and therapist´s self-development.
Further training in Psychotherapy
Trauma Therapy – IFS – Internal Family System Therapy. My main approach:
– IFS Online Continuity Program: sexuality, trauma, addictions, trailheads. Patricia Rich, Cece Sykes, Frank Anderson, Mariel Pastor (Online). 1 year, 2020-21.
– Shamanism and the IFS Therapist. Ed Yeats (Online). 3 hrs, 2020.
– Assessing and living from Self. Loch Kelly (Online). 3 hrs, 2020.
– IFS and Spirituality. Richard Schwartz (Online). 3 hrs, 2020.
– Self-lead Therapist. Osnat Arbel (Online). 8 hrs, 2020.
– IFS and Legacy Burdens. Kay Gardener (Online). 3 hours, 2020.
– IFS and Compassion for Addictive Processes. Cece Sykes (Online). 4 hrs, 2020.
– IFS Online Circle. Richard Schwartz, Toni Herbine-Blank,Pamela Krause (Online). 40 hrs, 2020.
– Case Consultations. Osnat Arbel, Kate Lingren, Cece Sykes, Mona Barbera (Online). 2019-.
– Personal Psychotherapy; IFS embodied learning. Sarah J. Wilson, Mona Barbera (Online). 2019-.
– Level I. IFS Institute. Susan McConnell, Osnat Arbel (Portugal). 2019, 12 days.
Emotion Focused Therapy – EFT – Emotion Focused Therapy
– Therapeutic Presence. Shari Geller (Netherlands), 2018, 2 days.
– For Couples. (EFT Externship). Scott Woolley (England). 2017, 4 days.
– Emotion Focused Therapy for Complex Trauma. A. Pascual-Leone (Netherlands). 2016, 2 d.
– Level I and II. Jeanne Watson, Robert Elliott (Netherlands). 2015-2016, 10 days.
– Enhancing Empathic Attunement. Jeanne Watson (Netherlands). 2015, 3 days.
– For Couples (Introduction). Þórdís Rúnarsdóttir (Iceland). 2015, 1,5 days.
– IFS-Informed EMDR. Bruce Hersey (Online). 2020.
– Resilience. Roger Solomon (Online). 2020, 4 hrs.
– Flash technique. Trauma Institute/Child Trauma. R. Greenwald (Online). 2020, 3 hrs.
– Case Consultations with Gyða Eyjólfsdóttir and Brynhildur Schewing.
– Complex Trauma. Roger Solomon (Iceland). 2018, 1 day
– Complex Trauma; Dissociation. Art of EMDR. Roger Solomon (Iceland). 2017, 4 days.
– Complex Trauma. Gyða Eyjólfsdóttir, Margrét Blöndal (Iceland). 2016, 1 day.
– Level I and II: EMDR Institute. Roger Solomon (Iceland). 2015, 6 days.
– Somatic Trauma Therapy (I, II, III). Babette Rothschild (Ireland). 2014-2015, 12 days.
– Insomnia without medicament. Erla Björnsdóttir (Iceland). 2018, 1/2 day.
– Clinical Hypnotherapy (I). Jón V. Jakobsson and Arnþór Arnþórsson (Iceland). 2018, 10 days.
– CBT for adults with anxiety. Gunnhildur Sveinsdóttir and Sigurbjörg J. Ludvigsdóttir (Iceland). 2016, 1 day.
Other Professional Activity
– The Icelandic Association for Psychotherapists. Founding member and Treasurer. 2019-
– Conference: Trauma Attachment Summit 2019 (Online). 2020.
– Peer Supervision with Margrét Gunnarsdóttir Integrative Psychotherapist MSc.
– Conference: Trauma Summit 18. (Ireland). 2018, 2 days.
– Conference Presentation: What is Integrative Psychotherapy? (Iceland). 2018.
I am a nurse RN BSc MSc. I have worked at Landspitali, University hospital Reykjavik as a clinical nurse, deputy nurse manager and a trainer in the surgical division for about 15 years. Another 15 years I was devoted as a project manager in the Human Resources, Academic and Training Divisions with focus on new recruits, continuing education, foreign employees and culturally competent care. On the side I have been a clinical trainer, lecturer and BSc/MSc supervisor at the University of Iceland, Akureyri University and a tutor in MSc studies at RCN London. Simultaneously and in periods, my work for the International Red Cross Movement (ICRC / Icelandic Red Cross) took me to rural areas, hospitals, prisons and cities in 9 countries in Africa, Asia and Europe where I took on grass root, clinical and management roles in war and natural disaster zones. My innate excitement for experiencing the wider world has also taken me to study and do other types of work abroad.
Reviewed publication in English: Overcoming strangeness and communication barriers: a phenomenological study of becoming a foreign nurse (2005).